The Coal Exchange in Cardiff Bay has been Westport Invest’s fastest selling development in 2017 and when you look at what this magical building has to offer, it’s easy to see why.
Steeped in history and meticulously restored, Cardiff’s Coal Exchange will be the latest edition to the booming regeneration of Cardiff Bay.
The £40m Re-development will offer tourists and business travellers absolute luxury spanning 150,000 sq ft across 200 beautiful en-suite rooms in an unrivalled historical setting.
Facilities will include a High end Bar and Restaurant, Spa & Private pool, Heritage centre to showcase the history of the building and a private wedding and conference venue.
A brief history of the Coal Exchange
- Dates back to 1883 when Cardiff was at the centre of the coal trade
- Coal merchants, ship owners and their agents met daily on the bustling trading floor
- At one time the price of the world’s coal was determined there and in 1904 the world’s first recorded £1m deal was struck there
- Closed in 1958 after the decline of the coal industry
- Earmarked as a future home for the Welsh Assembly but that plan fell through after devolution was rejected in a 1979 referendum
- In more recent years it has been used for concerts, dinners and other events, but closed in 2013
- 999 year lease registered at the land registry
- 8% return years 1-3
- 9% return year 4
- 10% + return years 5 to 10
- 108% Developer buyback from year 3 onward
- Fully managed hands-off investment
- £250 per ft2 offering tremendous investment value
- Experienced Hotel developer with multiple hotels already under successful management